The glory hole FAQ
The one, the only...Glory Hole FAQ!
Frequently asked questions on finding a glory hole and what to do there
Table of Contents
- Definitions - What is a glory hole?
- What do you do in them?
- What's the protocol to see who does what?
- Is this safe?
- So some talking DOES go on between booths?
- So two or more people CAN share a booth?
- Will the person on the other side reciprocate after I help him cum?
- What about the videos?
- What about money?
- What should I bring?
- What type of people go to these places?
- What if I see somebody I know in one of these places?
- OK, how do I find glory holes?
- How can I tell if a place tolerates this activity?
- This all seems so cold and clinical?! How can this be any fun?
- Answers to popular questions I get mailed.
What is a glory hole?
A glory hole is a small fist-sized hole between private video booths in an adult bookstore. The hole is placed about hip high for the average guy and is large enough to place a man's penis through to let the person on the other side perform whatever sexual activity he pleases on it.
There are several variations on this theme -- you will recognize them when you see them. Although this FAQ page is not about these variations, here is a quick rundown on some popular ones.
What is a Tea room?
Public toilet areas where this type of sexual activity happens are often called Tea rooms.
What is a Buddy booth?
Buddy booths are video booths where a glass partition with dual curtains (or some other apparatus that blocks your view of the other booth) separates the two booths. There is a button on both sides that first raises and then lowers your (but not the other booth's) curtain. I have also seen an electronic version of this where both people need to press the button at the same time to electronically clear the window between them. I have also seen a buddy booth as simple as a door with latches that opens between the two booths.
How does a buddy booth work?
When both buttons are pressed by both people, both curtains rise and you can see each other. Some booths require both buttons to be pressed at the same time. Buddy booths were designed to allow people to see but not necessarily touch each other. Some businesses have modified the booths so that the glass does not go all the way down to the bottom of the curtain. This allows you to see and feel each other at the same time with the safety of a wall between you.
What is a private video booth in an adult bookstore?
Most (not all) adult bookstores have an area where you can put a token, a dollar bill or a quarter into a slot and have an adult video play for about 60 seconds on a TV screen in front of you. These booths are small enough (for example, 3' x 6') for one person to sit down and lock the door behind them. In some areas, these booths no longer have doors on them. Most places frown on having more than one person in a booth. Some however actually encourage it by advertising "couples booths".
OK, what's a "couples booth"?
A couples booth is a booth that is much larger than a normal booth. It may have a larger than normal seat or a bench. More importantly, it is a booth that the establishment will tolerate more than one person being in.
But this adult bookstore only advertises straight videos, could they also have glory holes or couples booths?
Absolutely! In fact, for bisexual or married guys, this is a great deal! They can go into a place that they can have sex with another guy and not worry about someone see them go in and "blow their cover".
Is there an equivalent place for women?
Not that I know of! If you think about it, it would be a little tough. A glory hole assumes you have something to stick through.
Basically you get to cum or help someone else cum. Maybe both. Maybe just watch. A few people go there just to let someone else watch them cum. See the next section.
I have seen little talking in adult theaters. It does happen but mostly stuff happens by sight and by a few standard protocols.
- Go into a booth; close and lock the door, if possible.
- Drop some money in the video machine.
- Sit down if the establishment provides a place to sit.
- Expose your genitalia and get hard.
- Wait for someone to come into the booth next to you or check the person out in the next booth by looking through the glory hole. Don't be shy about this, almost everybody who is there is looking to be checked out by the person in the next booth.
- If you like what you see, stick a finger through the glory hole far enough so that the other person sees it. If you are a married guy and want to tell the other guy you are married, stick your ring finger through. Withdraw it to show him you are ready to receive him. If you want him to use a condom, place it in the hole between you now.
- If the other person wants you to play with him, he will stand up and place his penis through the hole. If he does not, he will not. If he will use the condom you placed in the hole, he will take it now. Sometimes he will just want you to watch him play with himself. Recently, I actually had someone take the rubber, put it in his pocket and leave. Be prepared for anything!
- Go into a booth; close and lock the door, if possible.
- Drop some money in the video machine.
- Sit if you wish but standing up is the generally accepted indicator that you are not willing to play with anyone else.
- Expose your genitalia and get hard. You will find it more difficult to get someone to play with you if you don't have at least a half-mast hard-on.
- Wait for someone to stick their finger through the glory hole. If someone does not seem interested, err on the side of caution. Not everyone who goes to these places is interested in this. You can get into some real trouble by just shoving your penis through the glory hole uninvited.
- Put a rubber on now if you want. Place your penis through the hole. Some guys will just play with you; others will suck you; a few will want you to penetrate them anally.
If you stop playing with someone before they cum, and stand up with yourself exposed and hard, that is a general signal that you would like to take turns. That is, it's now time for him to withdraw his penis and allow you to place your penis through the glory hole so he can play with you. Your best opportunity to make this happen is to find someone who is sitting down (looking to play with someone) and is willing to play with you (responds when you stick your finger through the glory hole).
This will result in one of two things happening -- the other person will either oblige or refuse. The typical refusal is shown by the person sticking his penis back through the glory hole or by leaving and looking for someone else.
On occasion, the person being played with will want to help you cum. He will signal this by withdrawing his penis from the glory hole (usually before he cums) and putting his finger through the hole. If you want to be played with, place your penis through the hole. If you are not ready to be played with, stick your finger back through the hole after he does. Negotiate from there.
There have been many occasions that I have refused to take turns and just wanted to make the guy cum. For example, if I want to go through a few guys that evening before I cum, I won't let the first guy play with me and risk cumming too early. I think some guys take it as a rejection and it is not meant that way.
Follow the same procedure as above, except place your anus as close to the glory hole as possible. When the person on the other side sees this, he will attempt to penetrate you through the glory hole. You should shortly begin to feel him pressing his penis or finger up against your anus (or nearby). Guide his penis or finger to where you want it to be.
Please note: if the other person is not at least 6+ inches long, this is a pretty difficult position and penetration may be impossible. You may have to settle for his finger. I do not recommend this activity if this is your first attempt at receiving anal sex. Invariably, you will find it difficult to relax the correct muscles without practice and may wind up getting hurt.
And, if you do this without a condom, you have a death wish.
Not every adult bookstore has buddy booths; but some still tolerate people sharing booths discreetly. You need a separate protocol for that.
The clearest indicator that you want someone to follow you into a stall or video booth is eye contact. As you go into the booth, make direct and steady eye contact for a few seconds with your intended interest. If he returns the stare, go into the booth and leave the door unlocked. If he is also interested, he will open your door shortly. Usually if he is not interested, he will break any glance in your direction the second your eyes meet his.
He should enter your booth immediately...if he just opens the door and stares, reach out and close the door, he was not interested. He just wanted a quick look. If he gets in the booth, expose yourself immediately. If he exposes himself also, you are ready.
A favorite of truckers - the bathroom stall is the only major anonymous sex stop on or near interstate highways. The protocol is very simple.
If you want to play with someone, go to a stall at the farthest end of the bathroom. Close the door, pull your pants down and wait. When someone comes into the next stall, move your foot so that you know the other person can see it and slowly start tapping it. If the other person wants to be played with, they will kneel down and place their penis under the stall wall.
Safe takes three definitions: physical, legal, health.
I have never heard or read of anyone getting hurt by someone in the next booth at an adult bookstore through a glory hole. The only time I ever heard of anything bad happening in an adult bookstore is when it gets busted for letting things get too out of hand or someone insists that they can hang around waiting for just the right guy without spending any money. See Section 9. Most things I have heard are urban legends -- the old "friend of a friend of a friend" who had his penis cut off by a gay basher. I will believe it when I see it in print.
Let me highlight something that someone pointed out in a recent note that I received, I have heard of people getting hurt in tearooms. They are not the same as adult bookstores. The mere presence of a gloryhole or rumors of activity does not constitute a reasonably safe environment. Adult bookstores are reasonably safe. Tearooms may not be.
By the way, I keep emphasizing that you should lock the door behind you when you enter the video booth. I say that because there are guys that wait until they think you are exposed and doing something then fling your door open.
This activity is illegal in some cities or states. You take your chances and you get your thrills.
The cruisingforsex.com web page has begun an excellent service recently. They are asking lawyers to post professional opinions about what is legal or illegal in their respective state. You should read the scholarly advice on those pages and use your own common sense, but I will condense some salient points here. Note that the validity of this information varies by state in the United States.
- Sex in an adult bookstore is NOT a private place. By law, it is usually considered a public place.
- Sex in a car is NOT a private place. By law, it is usually considered a public place.
- Sex in an adult theater is NOT a private place. By law, it is usually considered a public place.
- Sex in a bathroom or tearoom is NOT a private place. By law, it is usually considered a public place.
- Touching someone sexually in a public place, even if they invite you to touch them, can get you arrested. This is not entrapment - even if it was a police officer that invited you to touch him or her.
- Exposing yourself in a public place, even if someone asked you to expose yourself, can get you arrested. This is not entrapment - even if it was a police officer that invited you to expose yourself.
- Police officers are not required to identify themselves before they arrest you, and, in fact, can lie about their employment. As they start to arrest you, they must identify themselves but all is fair before that.
As a safety point with little legal knowledge, I always make sure that the other person has his penis exposed before I put my penis through the glory hole. Not just hard through his pants. Not just rubbing his crotch. Actually out.
I'm not sure what that does for me legally; I'm just sure a judge would have a hard time hearing that from a police officer on the witness stand. And if the police officer lies on the stand, he will have an even BIGGER problem trying to explain to the judge why I know what his penis looks like (thank you, Paula Jones!). In general, be discrete and be smart and you should not have any problems.
As a general rule of thumb, the more public the sexual activity, the more risk you take in getting injured or arrested.
If you perform any anonymous sex on anyone these days without a condom, you're insane. Use them for EVERYTHING when you do this. Bring plenty with you. I use them even for hand jobs. Bring lubricated if you wish to perform anal sex, unlubricated for oral sex. And don't be surprised if you are rejected by some people for insisting on them. They're probably infected already.
Some places have condoms on sale in the video booth area. They are rarely bargains.
If you absolutely refuse to wear a condom, please note that it is rude to cum in someone's mouth or other bodily part without expressly asking them if it's OK. Some people don't want cum in their mouth and it gets really awkward when a guy starts to cum and you don't want it in you. I actually saw a guy through a glory hole get a stream of cum on the front of his shirt when he pulled away from a blow job that went too far.
Note: I have chatted with a lot of guys who use condoms for anal sex and don't use them for oral sex. Although I don't personally approve of this, be aware that most of these guys also talk with the other guy through the glory hole before they start sucking them to insist that they don't cum in their mouth. Most people seem to comply with this request. A few will say they won't cum in your mouth and then do. See the next section about talking. A few guys have also insisted that they "know" when a guy is about ready to cum. Again, I think they are insane. But the generally held theory is that the head of a penis expands and the testicles pull up towards the body very shortly before a guy cums.
Further note: Many guys say they don't need a condom for oral sex because "everybody knows you can't get AIDS through oral sex if the guy does not cum in your mouth." I have two responses. One: Yes, you can...you are flat out wrong. Two: Even if AIDS is very low risk, what about syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, herpes? Again, if you think STDs can not be transmitted orally, you are flat out wrong. Ask a doctor. If you are too embarrassed to ask your doctor, call the National STD hotline at 1-800-227-8922 in the United States.
Sure. I have heard the following:
"Do you wanna get out of here?"
"Do you wanna go to my place?"
"Do you wanna get a room?"
"I wanna suck you."
"Don't cum in my mouth."
"Is your place free?"
"Show me your ass."
"Show me your chest"
"Are you clean?"
And so on.
If you are not familiar with the terminology, the question "Are you clean?" is not referring to your state of cleanliness. Rather, it refers to whether you have a potential to be diseased. If you respond "Yes", it means that as far as you know, you are not going to give the guy a disease or you have limited yourself to partners who also say they are clean. If you say "No", you either know you have some disease or you are not sure if you have some disease or you do not bother to check with the other guy to see if he is "clean". Needless to say, anyone can lie about this so be careful.
Most places frown on this but I have seen it happen. A few places actually encourage it. See Section 3.5 for info on this protocol.
Again, don't be shy. If he made eye contact with you before going into a booth and it looks safe, check the lock on the door. If he left it open, he wanted you to come in. If he locked it, you were mistaken and should just move on to the next guy.
You can also negotiate this by talking through the glory hole.
Four points about this:
- The only time I ever came close to getting upset and physical with someone is when I was in the booth together with him. He decided my nipples needing biting. The wall between booths does provide a nice safety barrier.
- If the establishment does not like this and you are caught, you will be bounced out of the store faster than you can possibly imagine. From their viewpoint, two guys in one booth make less money than two guys in two booths. See Section 14 for tips on how you can tell if a place condones activity on the premises.
- Keep a fast hand on your door. If someone beats your intended sex interest to the door, just reach out and close the door after he opens it. It helps to keep your pants up until you're both settled in the booth.
- Be prepared for the occasional guy who just wants to jerk off together. He will not want you to touch him. This happens a lot with married guys who want to come close to having sex but do not want to officially cheat on their wives.
In general, the guy on the other side will usually pull up his pants and leave the booth and bookstore after he cums. He has finished what he came there for. Usually, the person who gets into the booth with you will help you cum as well. There are numerous exceptions to these rules. If a guy does not make a move to help you cum while you are helping him or if a guy does not insist on taking turns while in your booth, he will probably bolt soon after he cums.
I have had guys ask me if I got off while I was sucking them. If not, they reciprocated. It varies.
Most stores have a variety of videos (gay, straight, bi, S&M, B&D, etc.) for you to watch. It is common to be playing with someone in your booth and have them reach over to change the channel. The mission is to get off and there is usually very little sensitivity involved. Don't feel insulted - he's looking for something to help him cum a little faster.
Some adult bookstores have no cover charge. Some charge a small amount ($1-$5). Some insist that you buy a minimum of non-refundable tokens.
Booths normally take quarters, dollar bills or tokens. The amount of video time you get for that money varies wildly.
Almost universally, no matter where I have been, patrons of these stores are not allowed to:
- Be in a booth and not have the video running (that is, not spending money)
- Be outside a booth loitering near the booth area (that is, not spending money)
- Be in the parking lot outside the store for a long time (that is, not spending money)
See a pattern? Spend money and you will generally be left alone. These places have to stay in business and it is no one's God-given right to hang around there for free. It is not a public area - it is a place of business. If you don't have the money, go elsewhere.
Also, if you get into a booth together, it is generally accepted that both people put money into the slots.
Money and condoms are the only necessities. Lubrication if you think you might need it. Tissues to tidy up afterwards. It is discourteous to cum on the middle of the booth floor and leave without cleaning up.
If you have to let cum fly, please do it into a wastebasket (most places provide these in the booth) or in a corner at the very least. And don't cum on the chair or seat!
All types -- good-looking, ugly, fat, thin, clean, smelly, young, old, bald, hairy, effeminate, muscular, leather, jocks, courteous, rude, hung like a horse, hung like a hamster, first-timers, severely infected and the list just goes on.
Mostly single guys, but I have seen married guys in these places as well. I have also caught at least one guy who claims he was married but I know he is not. In fact, married guys are usually a little better about using a condom than the single guys. Being married myself, I usually seek them out.
A question often comes up about overly aggressive guys in bookstores. These questions normally revolve around this scenario:
A guy that you are not interested in has started pursuing you - following you from booth to booth and whispering to you, begging you to do something to him or vice versa. How do you discourage him?
If ignoring him (no eye contact at all) does not work, my advice is either:
- leave the bookstore and come back at a later time
- go into a booth with no holes and just spend a few dollars in there, hoping he will find a new love interest.
There really is not a lot you can do if someone decides to be an asshole.
It has happened to me three times...twice they were soliciting me to let them play with me before they knew it was me on the other side.
In short, anyone you see in an adult bookstore near the video booth area has as much "explaining" to do as you do. Walk up to them, call them a pervert with a smile on your face and see how they respond. If they are ignoring you, ignore them. They want to make believe they don't know you.
By the way, the third person I knew ignored me and then went in the booth next to me and played with me! We have never talked about it since.
Look in the largest nearby city for places that exclusively rent adult videos. Also look for places offering video booths, couples booths or "buddy" booths in newspapers in that city.
Alternatively, you can also look at this site. The cruisingforsex.com web site which you are at now is a massive attempt to provide a huge list of worldwide reader-provided sites where semi-public sex is tolerated. I visit it at least once a month and if this subject fascinates you, I humbly suggest you do also.
This is probably the best question I get asked. Remember that the following advice is a guideline – not a guarantee.
The store tolerates activity if:
- You see glory holes in booths.
- Some or all of the booths are out of the line of sight of the store clerk (watch for cameras though!)
- The doors to the booths are lockable.
- You see people allowed to loiter a short while in the aisles.
The store does not tolerate activity if:
- The booths are directly in the line of sight of the store clerk.
- There are no doors on the booths.
- The booths have no lock or latch to stop someone from opening the door.
- People are not allowed to walk around slowly at all. The store clerks will not allow people to linger indefinitely so if you see someone hassled, it is not necessarily a bad sign.
- The clerk actually goes around to check the booths for multiple people. Do not mistake this for the clerk going around banging on doors telling people to drop tokens or money. This happens in every place.
- You see video cameras that show the clerk what activity is happening out of his sight.
True...very true. But then again, taken in the proper light, it is a lot of fun.
Almost every guy in an adult video booth has one goal - it is to cum (which, by the way, is a lot of fun). Each person has his own standards and what does and does not matter on the other side of the booth. It is sex at its most basic and raw form. It is sex with someone you do not know or love. You will rarely know their name - yet I have had people tell me that a particular episode in an adult video booth has had a fond lasting memory for years.
So is there a big difference between what is generally accepted to go on every night in bars across the world and this? I say, no.
How many adults can say they haven't once slept with someone on the first or second date? What is the difference between that and this?
Dinner and a movie? 45 minutes of inane chatter? An hour of groping to see how far you can get?
Most adults will admit to at least one instance in their lives when they have met someone and shortly after meeting them (within a few hours at most), they had their tongue halfway down the other person's throat and was in bed with them shortly after that.
Unlike this WWW page, life is not that black and white. Sex through glory holes is different; but not a LOT different.
Enjoy! Be safe and smart.
You are a brave soul if you reached this far...this is a lot of info.
For even more info about where cruising spots, look no further than this site.
Any questions or comments...mail me but please read the FAQ below first! I have received mail from all over the world, I'd love to hear from you. To save you some time, let me give you some answers to questions I get a lot. Please do not send me mail asking the following questions - I just do not have the answers or I have already answered it the best I can here.
Q: Are there any glory holes in [Insert your city here]?
A: This is the number one question I get asked. The sad answer is I have no idea. My best advice is to look in this site. If the cruisemaster does not know, no one knows.
Q: I saw an ad for a book that tells me where glory holes are. Should I buy it?
A: I never have. The product may be good. I just don't know. Try this site first and then decide if it is worth your money.
Q: I really like to give/receive blowjobs. Are blowjobs safe without a rubber?
A: I am REALLY sick of this question. They are not 100% safe.
Q: Can you send me a story about one of your escapades?
A: No, this is the limit of my story telling here.
Q: You said above that you are married. Does your wife know about this?
A: No, she does not.
Q: Are you afraid of AIDS?
A: Yes and a lot of other diseases as well not the least of which is hepatitis. That's why I don't kid around about rubbers. I use them correctly and consistently. If I am giving the blow job, I watch guys as they put the rubber on to make sure they do it right. You would not believe the number of guys who put a rubber on incorrectly. If they do it wrong, all they get is a hand job.
Q: Guys put rubbers on wrong? How do they do that?
A: The normal way guys goof up putting a rubber on is to take it out of the wrapper and not check which way the rubber rolls. If they don't check, they have a 50% chance of trying to put it on inside out. When they do that, what is supposed to be the outside of the tip of the rubber is placed directly on the head of their penis. Then, when they find they can not unroll it, they reverse the rubber and roll it on. Unfortunately, that means that whatever fluids were on the tip of their penis is now on the outside of the rubber about ready to be put inside you somewhere.
The next logical question is "Have I seen guys actually do this?"
The answer is "Yes, dozens of them."
Q: How often do you go to adult bookstores?
A: When I was really active, I tried to go about once a month. Today, it varies. Rarely more than once a month.
Q: Why did you go into all that mumbo-jumbo in the Legal section (Section 4.2)? What gives you the right to tell people what they can and can not do?
A: Hey, I am no happier about it than you are! Don't shoot the messenger. And I am just trying to make sure everyone understands the potential risks because the rewards are obvious. For example, if you are arrested and convicted of doing this in progressive states like Massachusetts, you have to register as a sex offender and that information becomes public record. Again, I am not a lawyer and this absolutely does not constitute professional legal advice or opinion.
Q: Do you get lucky every time you go to a bookstore?
A: No, most times but not every time.
Q: No matter how aggressive I got with this guy I found at my local bookstore, he would not <insert the desired behavior> for me. What did I do wrong?
A: Nothing. The guy does not want to have sex with you. Whatever it was that he was looking for, you were not it. Quit trying to convince him and move on.
Q: How do you handle a guy who will not use rubbers?
A: I leave him alone and ignore him.
Q: How did you learn all this stuff?
A: Over 19 years of going to adult movie houses and bookstores, you learn a lot if you look and listen.
Q: You have seen a lot of adult movies - who is your favorite star?
A: Seka - hands down. There is everyone else and then there is her. No one else is even close. Except maybe Christy Canyon.
To stop the normal follow-up question, I do not trade pictures of Seka. This lady makes her money by creating these works and I will not begrudge her a living. I am willing to pay for the fantasy films and pictures she makes and that is what I wish more people would do. And to stop the next follow-up, follow-up question, I have never met her.
Q: Overall, do you prefer having sex with men or women?
A: Women - by a long shot - sorry guys.
Q: Well, what do you look for/avoid in a guy in a bookstore.
A: Hmmm...I guess I look for this:
- Around my age or younger,
- Around my penis size or larger,
- Someone who has washed and dresses reasonably,
- Someone who actually is hard,
- Someone who will wear or offers me a rubber.
I avoid anything that is the opposite of the above plus..
- Any one that is too aggressive,
- Any one that appears sickly or pale,
- Any one that offers me anal sex and does not have a rubber or check to see if I have one.
Q: Have you ever seen any women in adult bookstores?
A: Yes, very very rarely I see a woman in one. Occasionally you will see a couple in there. Once, I actually saw a woman walk into a store and buy a dildo while her male companion was waiting out in the car. But if you are looking to meet women and not men, look elsewhere.
Q: What was the first adult movie that you saw?
A: I am curious Yellow.
Q: How old were you when you first had sex with a man?
Q: How old were you when you first had sex with a woman?
A: 22. I know -- a late bloomer. Trust me...I have made up for lost time.
Q: Who gives better blow jobs?
A: Men - sorry ladies.
Q: Who gives better anal sex?
A: Well, that's a tie...I just can't tell the difference.
Q: What's the maximum number of people I have ever seen share a booth?
A: Three. It was pretty wild.
Q: What are some weird or unusual things I saw in a next door booth?
A: Here are a few...
- Some guy urinating on the floor. I don't know why.
- A guy masturbating with women's underwear. (Gee...now that we know about Marv Albert, this does not seem that weird anymore?!)
- Some guy with his nipple placed up to the glory hole.
Q: Have I ever left an adult bookstore and gone to a car or to someone's home to finish the act?
A: Never - just too dangerous in my opinion. Action in cars is illegal in most spots (remember that famous star who was caught with a hooker in Hollywood recently?)
Q: What unusual people have I seen in adult video booths?
A: Here are a few...
- Transvestites looking for sex.
- Hustlers looking for money (the going rate to suck a guy with a huge penis appears to be about $10 in NYC as of June 1995).
- Straight couples looking to see a few seconds of a gay video without renting one.
Lilfuzzyg is an avid attendee at glory holes. This website first appeared on America Online and was subsequently destroyed by them. So that Lilfuzzyg may continue his work, it is now being housed at cruisingforsex.com. This web page is reprinted with permission. Contact Lilfuzzyg at email@example.com.
Of course, I'm not saying
you WANT to go to a glory hole...
and NEED to go to a glory hole...